News Flash Home
The original item was published from 1/21/2022 4:14:00 PM to 2/1/2022 9:08:19 AM.
Posted on: January 21, 2022
[ARCHIVED] Space Heater Safety Tips
- Be sure to keep space heaters at least 3 feet from bedding, curtains, and other objects and materials.
- Avoid using electric space heaters in bathrooms or other areas where they may come in contact with water.
- Never use an extension cord with a space heater and turn off/unplug the heater when you leave the room.
- Purchase a space heater with a thermostat and automatic shut-off, and make sure it includes the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) Mark.
- Ensure you have smoke alarms in each sleeping area, in the immediate area outside each sleeping area, and on every habitable level within your home.
- Ensure you have a carbon monoxide alarm in your home if you have an attached garage or any fuel-burning appliances.
- When escaping a fire, closing the door behind you can save lives by reducing the spread of smoke.