The mission of the Ethel M. Gordon Oakland Park Library is to meet the educational, cultural, and recreational information needs of the Oakland Park community in a manner which would assure top quality, progressive service and convenient access to all in our diverse community. The Library sets out to provide a challenging life-long learning environment offering a varied, current and significant collection of library materials, technology, programs, and activities that will facilitate the creation of knowledge in our community.
Ethel M. Gordon Oakland Park Library
In Honor of Ethel M. Gordon
In 1951, Ethel M. Gordon led the Women's Club in the creation of a municipal library system that has evolved into the present day Oakland Park Library. She donated her own books to help start the collection and became the first volunteer to staff the Library which started in the Oakland Park Women's Clubhouse. Ms. Gordon ran for a seat on the City Commission on a one-issue campaign, which was to establish a library in the city. She won her seat and was appointed on January 4, 1956. The City of Oakland Park Library opened February 10, 1958. In recognition of her efforts, the Oakland Park City Commission voted on October 16, 2013 to officially name the Library the Ethel M. Gordon Oakland Park Library.